CommandPost is a completely free and open source Mac application that allows you to seriously speed up your creative editing process through powerful and customisable automation tools. Think Apple’s Automator, with a little bit of BetterTouchTool and Keyboard Maestro thrown in, but specifically designed for creative professionals.
It’s currently focussed on Apple’s Final Cut Pro - however the road-map is to add useful functionality for other tools we use on a daily basis, like Adobe After Effects and mocha Pro.
Built on-top of a powerful and flexible plugin architecture, the aim of CommandPost is to build an open platform where editors worldwide can easily create and share useful tools to make their editing lives easier - allowing them to spend less time worrying about keystrokes, and more time doing creative things. We want to remove boring workflow obstacles so that everyone can get home earlier and spend less time in front of a computer.
For those that know how to do basic coding, building plugins for CommandPost will also be a breeze, as they’re created using the powerful, fast, and easy-to-learn Lua - the same scripting language used by Blackmagic Fusion and Adobe Lightroom. It’s also fully compatible with Hammerspoon.
You can listen to Chris explain CommandPost on Final Cut Pro Radio Episode #57 and Episode #43.
CommandPost has hundreds of useful features. Here are some of our favourites:
- Apple Touch Bar Support
- Stream Deck Support
- MIDI Device Support
- Tangent Panel Support (including Tangent’s iPad App)
- Launch Final Cut Pro
- Make Pasteboard Contents Uppercase/Lowercase, etc.
- Windows Management/Resize Tools
- Shortcut for Un-mounting External Drives
Final Cut Pro
- Timecode Overlays in Viewer
- Batch Exporting from Browser & Timeline
- Scrolling Timeline
- Movable Markers
- Watch Folders
- Color Board controls on the MacBook Pro Touch Bar (or using Duet)
- Shared Clipboard & Clipboard History
- Timeline Zooming with Mouse Scroll & Modifier Key (includes Magic Mouse)
- Additional Color Inspector Shortcuts (for use with control surfaces)
- Mobile Notifications (Prowl, Pushover & iMessage)
- Enable Rendering During Playback
- Change Final Cut Pro’s Backup Interval
- Ignore Inserted Camera Cards
- Highlight Browser Playhead
- Watch Folders
For more information check out our User Guide.
CommandPost is currently in a public beta testing phase, with around 1.1K active monthly users.
If you’re interested in helping out please join our Facebook Group.
You can download the latest release here.
You can review the release notes and download previous versions here.
If you find CommandPost useful, please consider making a donation for development.
CommandPost supports macOS 10.10.5 or later (including High Sierra 10.13.6).
It requires Accessibility Permissions, so you’ll need your computer’s Administrator Password.
The Final Cut Pro features require Final Cut Pro 10.3.2 or later (including 10.4.3).
The Touch Bar & Magic Mouse features require macOS Sierra 10.12.1 or later.
How to Contribute
You can help support CommandPost by:
Or help out with development by:
- Translating CommandPost into other languages
- Creating your own CommandPost Plugins and sharing them with the community
- Helping create tutorials and documentation for CommandPost
- Supporting the development of Hammerspoon
- Supporting the development of Lua
The best way to get support is via the CommandPost > Provide Feedback button in the CommandPost menu.
You can also post issues and feature requests on the CommandPost GitHub Page. Registering with GitHub is free, and we actively monitor these requests.
Alternatively, you can always email us via email@example.com.
CommandPost was originally conceived as a proof-of-concept to make finding the Final Cut Pro browser playhead easier for Scott Simmons (you can read the origin story here).
It’s now developed and maintained by Chris Hocking & David Peterson through GitHub.
- Our family for putting up with us, especially Karen, Erica & Nigel the dog.
- Daniel Daperis, Nicholas Colla and our entire team at LateNite Films.
- The CommandPost logo was designed by the very generous and talented Sam Woodhall.
- The Stream Deck icons were created by Daniele Di Tuccio.
- The CommandPost-App is a fork of Hammerspoon. Thank you to EVERYONE in the Hammerspoon Community for all their help!
- Aaron Magill and Chris Jones for all their on-going help and support with Hammerspoon – they’re both truly awesome people. CommandPost wouldn’t be remotely possible if it wasn’t for their brains and constant help and support. Thank you, thank you.
- Andrew Madsen for all his help and support with MIKMIDI.
- Andy Knox and the team at Tangent for all their ongoing help and support.
- The INCREDIBLE Andrew Kramer at Video Copilot for giving the world FX Console for FREE – and also inspiring me to rip off his genius idea and include a “console” feature in CommandPost!
- Bill Cheeseman at PFiddlesoft, for all his help with UI Browser and his very generous GUI Scripting advice.
- Andreas Verhoeven & Robbert Klarenbeek for the work they’ve done with Touch Bar Demo App - which Aaron Magill very kindly ported to Hammerspoon.
- Cail Young for all his knowledge, advice and wisdom.
- Iain Anderson & Sarah Kimberly Euschen for their beta testing and encouragement.
- Alex Gollner, Scott Simmons, Isaac J. Terronez, Tim Webb, Vigneswaran Rajkumar, Андрей Смирнов, Michael Matzdorff, Shahin Shokoui, Ilyas Akhmedov and everyone in the FCPX Editors InSync & FINAL CUT PRO X EDITORS Facebook Groups for all their ideas and advice!
- Thanks also to all our awesome beta testers!